Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cheesy Ground Beef Enchiladas

     I lost my camera before I was able to upload them here for this recipe. Really sorry. But, you can check out the pictures over at The Pioneer Woman. Sorry about that. I HATE cooking something when I don't have a visual to look at. It makes me not want to cook the meal. I love to see what the finished product should look like, so I know if I did something wrong. Plus, the picture is what makes me decide if I want to cook the meal or not. Sometimes the ingredients are questionable, but if it looks really yummy in the picture, I'll give it a shot. So, ultimately, sorry for the mishap. But really, we should all be more sorry about the fact that I lost my camera... sad day. Let's all take a moment of silence for my poor camera, out there in the world, thinking that it's owner has abandoned it. I can't talk about this any more...


     I was in the mood for a little something different, so I chose to use flour tortillas instead of corn this time. Definitely different than corn enchiladas, but they were still really good, kinda chewy and very soft, which we liked.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 7oz can chopped green chiles
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp coriander
20 medium flour tortillas
8oz freshly grated cheddar cheese
8oz freshly grated monterey jack cheese

Sauce:
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp flour
1 28oz can of your favorite enchilada sauce
2 C chicken broth
salt and pepper

Directions:
For the sauce: In a saucepan over medium, heat the oil and flour for 1 minute (not 2), and whisk together continuously so as not to burn it... like I might have done one, two, maybe three times. Add the enchilada sauce, broth and salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes or so.

Brown the ground beef and onions and drain. Add the green chiles and all of the seasonings. Mix well and sautee for several minutes to let the goodness seep into the meat and make it all flavorful. This step is important, and made a big difference in the outcome of my enchiladas, as compared with previous efforts.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Shred the cheese and mix together (Freshly grated cheese is super important here people... I am now a firm believer, I have been converted to block cheese, it's pretty much all I use now!)

Spread some sauce on the bottom of a pan (I used a baking sheet, like you would use for cookies. It's a Paula Dean, and I think it's a little bit bigger than a typical cookie sheet and the sides are a teensy bit higher, and it works perfectly for enchiladas).

Make your enchiladas: Hold your tortilla in one hand, and pour 2 -3 tbsp of the meat into the center, making a line. Sprinkle 2 tbsp cheese over the top. Pour 2 tbsp sauce over the top and roll tightly. Place in the pan and continue to make the rest of the enchiladas. Pour sauce over the top and bake for 15 minutes.

Take the enchiladas out and* sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.

*Next time I would pour a small amount more of sauce over the top of the enchiladas because they looked a little dry. They weren't dry, they just looked it, probably because I didn't dip them in oil before I assembled the enchilada. But it was okay, they didn't taste dry at all, they were super cheesy, super soft and chewy.

Recipe Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman

0 comments:

Post a Comment